- Systems and Operations, Companions to Code and Data Migration: When you move z/OS applications to a Mainframe Alternative (MFA) platform, there are more than only programs and data to move. There are datacenter and application production procedures and policies and the operational practices in computer operations. More...
- Should I Stay or Should I Go? Understand Your Options to Make the Best Decision About Mainframe Migration: Migrate! Modernize! Save money! Be more agile! These messages and many more are probably landing on your desk daily. Is it time to consider moving off the mainframe to another platform, or should you ignore these demands and continue forward secure in the knowledge that IBM is going to look after you? More...
- Introduction to the New Mainframe: z/OS: This IBM Redbooks publication provides students of information systems technology with the background knowledge and skills necessary to begin using the basic facilities of a mainframe computer. It is the first in a planned series of textbooks designed to introduce students to mainframe concepts and help prepare them for a career in large systems computing. More...
- Why does John outsource so many things? Philadelphia Business Journal - by Gene Marks: This is an interesting article about outsourcing even though it has nothing to do with outsourcing to India. I the difficult times, outsourcing could be the competitive edge that an organization of an individual would be looking for. Maintec offer outsources services in RIM (Remote Infrastructure Management), Mainframe System Support and remote IT Staffing. More...
- Moving apps off mainframe may have unintended results: Migrating applications off the mainframe may seem like a good idea, with CPU consumption and cost savings benefits. But if the application's data model isn't fully understood, these migrations can become costly and may require your organization to invest in additional computing resources. In this column, mainframe expert Robert Crawford uses a hypothetical capacity planning meeting to demonstrate the unintended negative consequences that can come from migrating apps off the mainframe. More...
- Straight Talk for Mainframe Executives: An Interview With IBM’s Dr. Gururaj Rao—The Mainframe’s Positioning, Capabilities & Value (Published by Publisher on July 16, 2009 By Bill Carico)
- IBM System z Redbooks
- IBM mainframe user 2010 wish list (Robert Crawford, Contributor): What should IBM Mainframe users ask of Big Blue in 2010? Check out our mainframer wish list.
- Can the mainframe serve as an information security hub? A network-based data security approach is no longer suitable with the amount of data stored in computers and shared on the Internet today, says expert Wayne Kernochan. In this tip, he explains the mainframe's potential to serve as an information security hub and how such a system would work.
- Big Blue has built a supercomputer that models the brain--and hopes to someday build a supercomputer that mimics one, too. (By: Andy Greenberg)
- NetSoft enhances mainframe connectivity software for Windows 3.X; DynaComm/Elite 3.6 increases host session support by 300 percent; adds TN3270E, ASync/X.25 links, ODBC access to DB2, and more.
- Manage your mainframes to cut costs. (Author: Arif Mohamed)
- Network-to-Mainframe Connectivity. (Journal article by Pierre Goyette; T H E Journal (Technological Horizons In Education), Vol. 18)
- OpenSolaris on IBM System z mainframe will be a niche. (By Mark Fontecchio, News Writer; SearchDataCenter.com)
- Mainframe migrations attractive, but still a tough sell. (By Wayne Kernochan, Contributor; SearchDataCenter.com)
- IBM enhances mainframe software for SOA enablement. (By Mark Fontecchio, News Writer; SearchDataCenter.com)
Roadmap to mainframe application modernization. (By Wayne Kernochan, Contributor; SearchDataCenter.com)
Mainframe users share z/OS 1.10 stories. (By Mark Fontecchio, News Writer; SearchDataCenter.com)
Mainframes provide fast-track access to private cloud benefits for enterprises, process ecosystems. (Posted by Dana Gardner)